Smoked Cheese, Leek, and Red Pepper Strata
Eileen Goltz |
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red peppers
- 2 leeks, white only
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 1 cup mild smoked cheese, grated (we use smoked Amish yogurt cheese)
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups half & half
- 9 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice leek, cut red pepper into small dice, and sautee both in the butter until soft; set aside.
- Cube foccacia into 1/2-inch pieces. Spread half of the bread cubes in the prepared 9 x 13” pan. Top with 3/4 of the cheese and 3/4 of the leek and red pepper mixture. Repeat layers: bread cubes, cheese, pepper/leek mixture.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, half & half, eggs, Dijon, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and cheese. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake, uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes.