Sorta kinda like mac and cheese but totally Pesadich.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 large eggs*
- 5¼ cup matzah farfel (9 broken matzahs)
- ¾ lb. cheddar cheese and/or other strongly-flavored cheese, shredded
- 1½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Saute onion until translucent and fragrant.
- Beat 3 eggs well. Place the farfel in a large bowl. Pour the beaten eggs over the farfel.
- In another bowl combine the remaining egg with the milk and pepper. Beat to combine and set aside.
- Combine the onion with the shredded cheese(s).
- Layer casserole as follows: half the matzah, half the cheese/onions, remaining matzah, remaining cheese/onions.
- Dot top with butter. Pour milk mixture over top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, to brown.
- Cut into squares or serve with large spoon.
- If watching cholesterol, use 1 whole egg and substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg: Use 2 egg whites over the matzahs, and use the whole egg and the remaining whites in milk mixture.