- 2 to 3 pounds of new potatoes*
- 3 cups of Kosher salt
- 6 whole plump cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease your casserole dish.
- Scrub the potatoes well and cut out any blemishes. Pat completely dry or your potatoes with steam and not bake.
- Cut them in half and place cut side down in an oven-proof baking dish or casserole. Nestle the garlic cloves throughout.
- In a bowl combine the egg whites and salt. The salt mixture should be moist.**
- Pour the salt over the potatoes; pack it in a bit, and smooth over the top. The potatoes should be just covered.
- Place the potatoes in the hot oven and bake for 1 hour.
The potatoes will be very hot straight out of the oven so let them rest there for a few minutes or until you are ready to serve.
- Crack open the crust at the table with a stiff metal spatula and let people serve themselves. Or, dust off the potatoes, open them up with a squeeze, and smear with a bit of the garlic. Enjoy by popping them into your mouth one at a time.
- * Try mixing up the colors a bit by using red, purple, and yellow potatoes.
- **If you are using a larger casserole or baking dish just increase the amount of salt and add another egg white or two. Use roughly one egg white per cup of salt needed to cover the potatoes.