- 9 to 10 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1 lb.)
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2 lb.)
- ¼ cup dates
- ½ cup dried pitted prunes
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, and add sweet potatoes and carrots until just beginning to get tender (but not yet tender), about 10-15 minutes. Drain well.
- Add to a large mixing bowl with all remaining ingredients, and mix well with a wooden spoon.
The carrots and potatoes should still be a little hard, and mixing shouldn’t cause them to fall apart or mush.
- Cover with foil, and bake approximately 30 min, basting with pan juices midway.
- Uncover and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
Warmed leftovers of this dish are delicious.