This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Roasted Garlic and Herbed Mashed Potatoes
Pareve or Dairy
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 heads garlic (12 to 14 oz. total)
- 6 lbs. Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable cream cheese or non dairy substitute
- About 1 cup chicken broth or milk or non dairy substitute
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour olive oil into a 9- to 10-inch square pan.
- Cut garlic heads in half crosswise through cloves and lay cut sides down in pan. Bake until garlic is golden brown on the bottom and oozing sticky juices, about 35 minutes.
- Slip a thin spatula under garlic to release from pan. Reserve 1 half-head of garlic; pluck or squeeze cloves from remaining garlic.
- Meanwhile, rinse and peel potatoes. Cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Boil in salted water until soft.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add loose garlic cloves and cheese.
- With a potato masher or mixer, mash potatoes, adding enough broth to make them as soft and creamy as you like. (If you plan to serve potatoes as soon as they are mashed, heat broth before adding.)
- Season to taste with salt and swirl into a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Serve with a garnish of reserved roasted garlic.