Pan-roasted fruits and glazed dried fruits give a new twist to the traditional compote.
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 pears, cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 apples, cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
- ⅓ cup chopped glazed mixed dried fruits
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pecans
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Add pears and apples.
- Partially cover and cook over medium-high heat until barely tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in dried fruits and apple juice. Let set for at least 15 minutes.*
- When you're ready to serve, transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle pecans over top.
- Serve at room temperature.
* At this point, you can cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.