This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Roast Goose with Caramelized Apples
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 (10 to 13 lb.) goose, giblets and neck discarded
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup apple liqueur
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Rinse goose inside and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; thinly slice garlic and place into slits. Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
- Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and removing excess fat; reserve 6 Tablespoons fat. Turn goose over. Roast until brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, peel apples and cut each into 6 wedges. Toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Pour 6 Tablespoons goose fat into 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat. Add sugar, apple liqueur and cinnamon to apples; toss.
- Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and golden, about 1 hour.
- Serve goose with caramelized apples.