- 2 lbs. of large carrots, peeled and cut into 1" slices
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 lbs. white potatoes,* peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped prunes
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Rind of 1 large lemon, finely grated
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the carrots in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add all of the potatoes to the pot and boil for an additional 5 minutes.
At this point the vegetables will barely seem tender - don’t worry.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots well. Add the prunes, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon rind and 1 cup of water to the mix.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 3-quart baking dish (should be shallow rather than deep). Dot the top with the butter or margarine.
- Bake for 1/2 hour.
If tzimmes seems to be turning brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
*Any white potatoes work fine, I use russet for this recipe.