This dairy recipe can be made pareve by using the non-dairy options
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons butter, margarine, or oil for frying
- ¼ cup milk or water
- Salt and pepper
- Approx. ½ cup matzah meal
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Put in pot, cover with water and add salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Mash, adding egg, butter or margarine, milk or water, salt and pepper.Mix well (mixture should be stiff).
- Heat oil in frying pan – about ¼ inch deep.
- Put matzo meal on a piece of waxed paper.
- Take about 1/3 cup of the mixture, drop it into matzo meal, and roll to form a log about 1 inch in diameter. Repeat for remaining batter.
- Put logs in hot oil and fry until brown on one side. Turn and brown other side.