Poached Pears with Raspberries and Figs
Eileen Goltz |
- 4 ripe pears
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup orange honey or regular honey
- 3 (3-inch) lemon rind strips
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 (1½-inch) piece of vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 12 fresh figs each cut in half lengthwise
- 8 mint sprigs (optional)
- Peel and core the pears. Cut each pear in half lengthwise.
- Combine water, sugar, honey, lemon rind, and cloves in a large non-aluminum saucepan.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, and add to sugar mixture; discard the bean.
- Bring sugar mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Place pears, cut sides up, in pan, simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
- Remove pear halves with a slotted spoon, reserving the sugar mixture; place pear halves in a large shallow dish. Cover and chill.
- Bring sugar mixture to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 30 minutes). Cool.
- Serve each pear half with 2 tablespoons sauce, 2 tablespoons raspberries, and 3 fig halves; garnish with a mint sprig, if desired.