Pineapple Meatballs with Smoked Kosher Sausage
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup finely chopped green sweet pepper
- ¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) package kosher smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 (12 oz.) jar pineapple ice cream topping or pineapple or apricot preserves
- 1 cup hot-style or regular vegetable or tomato juice
- 1 Tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine egg, onion, 1/3 cup sweet pepper, the bread crumbs, and 1 Tablespoon of the soy sauce. Add ground beef; mix well.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs. Place meatballs in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until done. Drain meatballs. Transfer meatballs to a 3-1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker (crock pot). Add pieces of kosher sausage and 1 cup sweet pepper.
- In a bowl combine ice cream topping or preserves, vegetable juice, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the tapioca, and crushed red pepper. Pour over meatballs and sausage pieces; stir gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve immediately or keep warm on low-heat setting for up to 2 hours more. Serve with toothpicks.