From the caterers Paula Levine Weinstein and Julie Komerofsky Remer This Spinach Kugel is the perfect dish to serve for Sabbath meals during the week of Passover.
- 1½ sticks margarine
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1½ cup matzah meal
- 2 lbs. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 6 beaten eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Squeeze liquid out of thawed spinach.
- Saute the onion, celery and mushrooms in the margarine for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Put the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the carrots, matzo meal, spinach, eggs and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until firm.
Insect prone vegetables, are not made permissible by the freezing process. These vegetables should only be purchased when bearing proper certification. Uncertified frozen varieties such as asparagus, broccoli and spinach are most difficult to check thoroughly. They are therefore not recommended.