Absolutely amazing over melted Brie or softened cream cheese.
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 cups coarsely-chopped onions
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- In large saucepan, heat oil with butter over medium heat until butter melts. Stir in brown sugar and sugar, then cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture forms a syrup, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions, salt and pepper, then cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, to brown and cook onions.
- Add vinegar and caraway seed and stir well to mix. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture combines and thickens.
- Cool completely. Store in tightly sealed containers in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
- Serve over a Brie cheese that has been heated in a 350°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or over cream cheese that has been standing at room temperature for an hour. It can also can be used as a sandwich spread, or a topping for grilled meats.