This cake can be made dairy or pareve.
- 2 cups flour, sifted before measuring
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk, sour milk*, or non dairy substitute
- ¼ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and set it aside.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- Stir in the melted butter, molasses, egg, and buttermilk or sour milk. Beat in the hot water.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Serve the gingerbread with whipped cream or non dairy whipped topping.
* You can make sour milk by combining 1 teaspoon vinegar with enough milk to yield half a cup and letting it stand 5 minutes.