Submitted by Cathy Riggs Long Island NY
- 1½ lbs. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup finely-chopped onion
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup soft bread crumbs
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 6 split buns, toasted
- Combine ground beef, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup, salt, and pepper; shape into into twelve thin (about 1/4-inch thick) patties.
- In a skillet, melt the margarine and saute the mushrooms until just tender.
- Place mushrooms on 6 of the patties. Top with remaining patties and seal edges.
- Broil or grill the burgers to desired doneness. Serve on split toasted buns.
- Shiitake and Button mushrooms may be used after a thorough washing.
- Oyster mushrooms should be broken apart in several places. Pay careful attention to the base where small red worms can be found. Thoroughly examine all the inner sections. If insects are found, the mushroom must be discarded.
- Portobello mushrooms should be checked in the following manner:
- Remove stem from mushroom cap.
- Examine the detached stem for any sign of worms.
- Taking hold of the mushroom cap, scoop out the entire brown fan-like under-part of mushroom.
- Wash thoroughly.