Fresh parsley tends to be infested with aphids, thrips and other insects. Please check “Special Instructions” below for instructions on checking these for insect infestation.
3-4 slices crusty Italian bread
12 medium mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemons, zest of, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
Brush bread lightly with olive oil and grill both sides until lightly toasted. Quickly saute mushroom in preheated pan with olive oil until lightly browned. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon mushrooms over slices of bread.
Insect Inspection of Parsley
Fresh parsley (as well as the following herbs: basil, cilantro, dill, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme) are often used as spices or garnishing. Aphids, thrips and other insects may often be found on the leaves and stems of these herbs. Insects tend to nestle in the crevices between the leaves and branches of herbs. These insects can curl up and stick to the leaf once they come in contact with water. Curly leaf parsley is very difficult to check. It is therefore recommended that only flat leaf parsley be used.
Curly leaf parsley is very difficult to check. It is therefore recommended that only flat leaf parsley be used.
Vegetable spinners, power hoses, and light boxes are not always available in the home. We therefore recommend the following alternate procedure.
1. Soak herbs in a solution of cold water and vegetable wash. The proper amount of vegetable wash has been added when some bubbles are observed in the water. (In the absence of vegetable wash, several drops of concentrated non-scented liquid detergent may be used. However, for health reasons, thoroughly rinse off the soapy solution.)
2. Agitate the herbs in the soapy water, in order to loosen the sticking excretion of the bugs.
3. Using a heavy stream of water, thoroughly wash off the soap and other foreign matter from the herbs.
4. Check both sides of each leaf under direct light.
5. If one or two insects are found, rewash the herbs.
6. If any insects are found after repeating the agitation process twice, the entire bunch must be discarded.