A tortilla is an open-face omelet.
Recipe from Bon Appetit, September, 2002.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. russet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 oz. mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped & drained jarred roasted red peppers
- 8 large eggs, beaten to blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel potatoes and cut into 3/4-inch pieces; chop mushrooms and onions.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes; simmer in oil 3 minutes. Add onion; sauté until potatoes and onion are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until vegetables are soft, about 7 minutes. Add red peppers; sauté 4 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to large bowl. Cool slightly. Wipe out skillet.
- Preheat broiler.
- Stir eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into vegetables.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture; cook without stirring until just beginning to brown on bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Cover skillet; cook until eggs are cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
- Uncover and broil until top is brown, about 3 minutes.
- Slide spatula around edges and under tortilla to loosen. Slide tortilla onto large plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Shiitake mushrooms may be used after a thorough washing.
- Oyster mushrooms should be broken apart in several places. Pay careful attention to the base where small red worms can be found. Thoroughly examine all the inner sections. If insects are found, the mushroom must be discarded.
- Portobello mushrooms should be checked in the following manner:
- Remove stem from mushroom cap.
- Examine the detached stem for any sign of worms.
- Taking hold of the mushroom cap, scoop out the entire brown fan-like under-part of mushroom.
- Wash thoroughly.