Mexican Casserole with Buttermilk Biscuit Topping
Eileen Goltz |
- 2 lbs. vegetarian ground beef substitute
- 1 large onion
- ½ to ⅔ cup chopped red pepper
- 1½ cup cream corn
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 to 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan and set it aside.
- Chop onion and red pepper. In a bowl, combine the onions, chopped red peppers, hot sauce and cheese. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl sift together the cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Add the beaten eggs, buttermilk, oil and cream corn to the cornmeal mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pour half of the bread mixture in a prepared dish. Spoon all the fake meat mixture on top of the cornmeal mixture in the pan and then spoon the remaining cornmeal mixture on top of the fake meat mixture, making sure to cover it all.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden. Cut into squares or spoon on to plates to serve.