This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Women's Branch of the Orthodox Union |
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup matza meal
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 Tablespoons oil
- 3 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in chunks
- ½ lb. mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, cut in ½-inch slices
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes
- ¾ cup water
- In bowl, mix beef, onion, matza meal, egg, salt and pepper. Shape into 6 to 8 large meatballs.
- Put three Tablespoons of oil in large pot and cook meatballs until browned on all sides. Remove to bowl.
- In same pot cook carrots and potatoes until browned, stirring frequently. Remove to bowl.
- Add 2 more Tablespoons of oil and cook mushrooms, zucchini and eggplant until browned.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid and water. Add meatballs, carrots and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer for about 35 minutes.