This fluffy pancake makes a terrific breakfast or dessert
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (plus additional syrup for serving)
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Mix in maple syrup and sour cream.
- In another mixing bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold whites into yolk mixture.
- Melt butter in an 8- to 9-inch nonstick skillet with an ovenproof handle.
- Sprinkle almonds over bottom and spoon egg mixture over the almonds.
- Cook over low heat until sides begin to brown and the underside is golden when lifted with a spatula, about 5 minutes.
Be careful not to burn the almonds.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until top is puffed and browned. If necessary, loosen sides with a thin spatula.
- Slide omelet onto serving plate, flipping top half over bottom to fold in half.
Serve with additional syrup.