Mandarin Orange and Almond French Toast
Eileen Goltz |
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained and diced
- 10 eggs
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Remove crusts and cube bread.
- Place half the cubes in greased 9x13-inch pan. Sprinkle with orange peel and nutmeg. Layer with almonds, cream cheese, and oranges. Place remaining bread cubes on top.
- In a bowl combine the eggs, syrup, milk, and orange juice. Mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the bread, and cover with plastic wrap. Press down firmly so bread soaks up egg mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight for 8 to 10 hours.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350°F and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into 10 squares and serve with maple syrup, a dab of sour cream and half an orange slice on top.