- ¾ cup dried lentils (your choice)
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ package (one 2.5 oz. envelope) dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup spinach, sliced into strips
- 2 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, diced (or use parsley)
- 3 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine the lentils, rice, water, cumin, salt, pepper, and soup mix in a large stock pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature to a simmer. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cilantro, lemon juice. Mix to combine the ingredients.
- Continue cooking the soup for another 5 minutes until all the ingredients are hot.