- 1 (3½-lb.) whole chicken, cut in quarters
- Salt to taste
- Allspice to taste
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, thinly slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- ½ teaspoon ginger, ground
- ¼ teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 to 3 inches
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, with seeds removed
- 4 apricots, pitted and quartered
- Lightly sprinkle chicken on all sides with salt and allspice.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, melt margarine with oil. Add chicken and brown well on all sides.
- When chicken pieces are nearly browned on last side, discard all but a scant 2 Tablespoons of the drippings. Place onion and garlic around chicken.
- Sprinkle with turmeric, ginger, and coriander. Add cinnamon stick, water, and honey. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer over chicken.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is tender (45 to 50 minutes).
- Remove chicken and lemons to a warm, deep serving platter and keep warm.
- Bring liquid to a boil over high heat, stirring to blend in brown drippings from skillet, and reduce until syrupy.
- Add apricots, turning them in the sauce just long enough to glaze and heat through.
- Spoon sauce and apricots over chicken and serve.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.