The one company who helped define hot cocoa has a wonderful recipe for hot cocoa as well as lots of suggestions on how to tweak it.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- Dash salt
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 4 cups (1 qt.) milk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes.
- Add milk; stirring constantly. Heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.* Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy.
- Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired.
* Add one of the following when you add the vanilla extract:
- SPICED COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick, if desired.
- MINT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon mint extract OR 3 tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy OR 2 to 3 tablespoons white creme de menthe. Serve with peppermint candy stick, if desired.
- CITRUS COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon orange extract OR 2 to 3 tablespoons orange liqueur.
- SWISS MOCHA: 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee.
- COCOA AU LAIT: Omit marshmallows or whipped cream. Spoon 2 tablespoons softened vanilla ice cream on top of each cup of cocoa at serving time.
- SLIM-TRIM COCOA: Omit sugar. Combine cocoa, salt and water; substitute nonfat milk. Proceed as above. With vanilla, stir in sugar substitute with sweetening equivalence of 1/2 cup sugar.
- CANADIAN COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon maple extract.
- MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon HERSHEY’S Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; serve.