Green Chile Cheese Strata
Eileen Goltz |
- 14 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2⅔ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 small cans diced green chili peppers (4 oz. each)
- 2⅔ cups milk
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange 6 slices bread on bottom of baking dish; sprinkle the top of the bread with the cheese. Top the cheese with the remaining bread slices.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, onion, salt, and cayenne pepper and whisk them together. Blend in the green chilies, red pepper and milk. Pour the egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- To cook, preheat oven to 325°F. Bake uncovered 45 to 55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.