Green Beans with Caramelized Red Onions
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Meat
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium red onions (about 1¾ lbs.)
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Cut each red onion into 16 wedges. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Add broth to the onions; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add the beans. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.