This is the kind of cabbage salad my grandmother used to make
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 yellow onion, shredded
- 1 apple, shredded
- ¾ to 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup milk, half and half, or non dairy creamer (dairy or pareve)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2-3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, onion and apple and set it aside.
- In another bowl combine the mayonnaise, half and half (or whatever other cream ingredient you choose), salt, pepper, caraway seeds, vinegar, sugar and mustard and whisk them together. (Taste the dressing at this point to make sure the sweet/sour/salt balance. You can always add a little more of any of the ingredients to adjust it to you personal preference).
- Pour the dressing over the slaw mixture, toss gently, cover and let refrigerate several hours.