This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Gourmet Baked Apples
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 1 small apple (¼ lb.) such as Empire, McIntosh, or Gala
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 Tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 450°F.
- Peel and core apple, leaving it whole, then turn it on its side and slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- Reassemble to form a whole apple and brush with some of lemon juice.
- Put apple into a shallow 4-inch round or oval baking dish.
- Stir together butter, jam, brandy, brown sugar, allspice, and remaining lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of mixture into core of apple. Pour rest of mixture over outside of apple.
- Bake, basting once or twice, 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Insert cinnamon stick into core of apple and bake, basting frequently, until apple is tender and well browned and juices are thick and syrupy, about 20 minutes more.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.