See below for microwave version.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 Gala or Golden Delicious apples
- 2 Tablespoons melted margarine or butter
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In pie plate or shallow dish, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon, mixing well. Peel and partially core apples, leaving bottom end of apple cores in place.
- Dip apples in melted margarine, then roll in sugar mixture. Place coated apples in shallow baking dish.
- Combine walnuts, remaining margarine and remaining sugar mixture; spoon into centers of apples.
- Add water to just cover bottom of baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Microwave Version: Coat and fill apples as directed above; place in microwave-safe baking dish. (Omit adding water to dish.) Microwave, uncovered, on high (100 percent) 11 to 12 minutes or until apples are tender. (If microwave does not have carousel, rotate dish one-quarter turn every 3 minutes if necessary.)