This luscious cake is made with buttermilk and is the perfect dessert with a cup of tea on a cold winter’s night.
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the molasses, butter, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, and baking soda.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Beat well.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool slightly and serve.
- In a saucepan combine the cornstarch, salt and sugar. Stir in the water slowly.
- Cook about 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the lemon rind, juice and butter. Stir until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, cool slightly and spread it on top of the gingerbread.