No flour, no fuss, just delicious crunchy cookies
- 2¾ cups walnut halves (9 oz.), toasted then chopped
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup plus 3 Tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar with the cocoa powder and salt. Whisk in the chopped walnuts.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla extract and beat just until the batter is moistened (be careful not to overbeat or it will stiffen).
- Spoon the batter onto the baking sheets in 12 evenly spaced mounds.
- Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes, until the tops of the cookies are glossy, lightly cracked. and feel firm to the touch; shift the pans from front to back and top to bottom halfway through.
- Slide the parchment paper (with the cookies) onto 2 wire racks to cool completely before serving.