A totally over the top recipe but my friend swears it’s amazing
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- ½ cup milk
- 12 oz. processed cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups crackers
- ½ cup cornmeal
- Pot of oil
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- In large saucepan, bring water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to boil. Add pasta and cook 6 to 8 minutes, drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine hot pasta, 1/2 cup milk, cheeses, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and then spoon the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or until firm.
- Scoop out large Tablespoons of the mixture and roll into 1” balls and place them on a baking sheet, freeze for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining milk.
- In a separate bowl combine crushed crackers and corn meal.
- Dip the macaroni balls into the egg mixture, and then roll them in the crumb mixture.
- Heat about 2 to 3 inches of oil in a deep fryer or sauce pan. Fry the macaroni and cheese balls for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.