I love canned almond filling combined with semi-sweet chocolate chips or peanut butter with chocolate chips. Poppy seeds and other more traditional fillings may, of course, also be used.
½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¼ lb. butter or margarine
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ lb. filo dough (Keep waiting filo covered as not to dry out)
- ½-1 cup ground walnuts
- Filling of choice (poppy seed, prune, apricot, cherry, etc.)
- Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice together in a small sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook briskly for 5 minutes. Stir in the honey and set the mixture aside.
- In another small sauce pan combine the butter and heat, just to melt.
- Cut the filo sheets into 6 strips. (Parallel to short side of dough).
- Place damp towel on your work surface and then place waxed paper over the damp towel. Place 3 to 4 strips of filo on wax paper.
- Brush the surface with butter/oil. Sprinkle lightly with ground nuts. Place a teaspoon of filling about an inch from the edge.
- Fold like a flag. Repeat. Place on foil lined and greased cookie sheets. Brush with butter/oil. (May be covered with foil and frozen at this point.)
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes-until golden brown.
- Spoon syrup over Hamantaschen and let cool on rack.