Fig and Raisin Spice Cake
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 cup chopped fresh figs
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a standard loaf pan.
- Cover the figs and raisins with the boiling water and let sit to plump for 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs.
- Add flour mixture one half at a time, to the wet ingredients. Blend until smooth. Fold in the figs and raisins.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing.