Fig, Apricot and Raspberry Brulee
Eileen Goltz | Dairy
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 12 large firm-ripe figs (about 1½ lbs.)
- 6 ripe apricots (about 10 oz.)
- 1¼ cups raspberries (about 1½ half-pints)
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar in the Raw, or packed light brown sugar
- Sour cream, vanilla yogurt or creme fraîche
- In a small bowl stir together zest, citrus juices, vanilla, and sugar.
- Butter six 1-cup shallow flameproof gratin dishes or bowls.
- Quarter the figs. Halve and pit apricots. Divide figs, apricots, raspberries, and juice mixture among dishes or bowls.
- Just before serving, sprinkle sugar evenly over fruit and caramelize with blowtorch, moving flame evenly back and forth just over sugar or broil fruit under a preheated broiler set 2 to 3 inches from heat until most of sugar is melted and deep golden in places.
- Serve the brûlées Immediately with sour cream, yogurt or creme fraîche.