Accompanied by grilled chicken and a green salad, this makes an easy and complete light summer meal.
- 3 cups wild rice, cooked according to package directions with water or broth and well drained
- 1 dozen firm, ripe fresh figs, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup golden raisins or dried currants ("Craisins" also work)
- 1 cup tiny peas (thawed or fresh - NOT cooked!)
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the wild rice with the figs, pecans, peas and raisins, mix to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and grated orange rind. Mix well and pour the dressing over the rice mixture. Stir to coat.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well, cover and allow to stand for two hours.