This recipe is kosher for Passover.
EZ Coconut Macaroons
Eileen Goltz |
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut (or more as needed)
- Let the eggs sit on the counter for about an hour before separating.
- Prepare a baking sheet by greasing it very well. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the egg whites in a medium bowl and starting on xlow speed, beat the egg whites until they begin to foam. As the foam continues to build, you can turn the speed to medium and then high.
- Beat until the foam forms stiff, glossy peaks. Add the extract as desired.
- With a spatula, fold in the powdered sugar until just combined.
- Spoon the batter onto the pan in rounded mounds.
The batter should be of a consistency that a spoonful will stand as a mound 3/4-inch high on the pan. If the batter is too thin and tries to run, add more coconut. If the last few cookies are too thin, add more coconut again.
- Bake 15 minutes for small- to medium-sized cookies; 18 minutes for larger cookies, or until the cookies are a light brown color.
- Immediately remove the cookies with a thin metal spatula by slipping the edge of the spatula under the edge of the cookie and sawing back and forth.
- Cool on wire racks.