This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Courtesy of Women's Branch of the Orthodox Union | Dairy
- 1 medium eggplant
- ½ cup oil
- 2 cans tomato sauce with mushrooms
- ½ cup matzo meal (optional)
- ½ lb. sliced American cheese
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- ¼ cup grated cheese (Parmesan, Muenster or American)
- Cut off ends of eggplant, peel if desired. Slice in ½ inch slices.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Put oil in large foil pan and put eggplant in layer, turning once to get oil or both sides.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until lightly browned OR place pan under broiler and broil 10 minutes, then turn over for 5 minutes.
- Spray large baking pan with cooking spray. Pour a little tomato sauce in bottom of pan. Put in about 1/3 eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/3 of chopped eggs and 1/3 of cheese slices and matzo meal, if using. Pour on rest of first can of sauce.
- Add another third of eggplant, followed by egg and cheese.
- Pour on ½ can of sauce; then rest of eggplant, eggs and cheese.
- Pour rest of sauce over all. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.