This is a very delicious and delicate soup.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Red (cayenne) pepper to taste
- 2½ lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat olive or vegetable oil. Add onion and sauté until golden brown. Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Add squash, chicken broth, water and apples. Bring liquid to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat and cool 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree mixture in a blender or food processor, in batches, and transfer back into soup pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- NOTE: At this point, soup may be refrigerated until ready to serve.
- To serve, warm over low heat, stirring until hot. Remove from heat and serve in soup bowls.