Crisco Pie Crust
Modified from Crisco web site |
- Single Crust:
- 1⅓ level cups flour
- ½ level teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Crisco
- 3 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 level cups flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco
- 5 Tablespoons cold water
9-inch Deep Dish Double Crust or 2 (10-inch) Double Crusts:
- 2⅔ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco
- 7 to 8 Tablespoons cold water
- Spoon flour into measuring cup and level. Mix flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in Crisco using pastry blender (or 2 knives) until all flour is blended in to form pea-size chunks. Sprinkle with water, one Tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with fork until dough will form ball. Divide dough in half, if making double crust. Press between hands to form one or two 5 to 6-inch pancakes.
- Flour dough lightly. Roll into circle between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet.
- For Single Crust: Trim one inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Flip into pie plate. Remove other sheet and press pastry to fit. Fold edge under and press to form a crust higher than the pan.
- For Double Crust: Flour each half of dough lightly. Roll into circles between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet for bottom crust. Transfer bottom crust to pie plate. Remove other sheet and press pastry to fit. Trim edge even with pie plate.
- Add desired filling to unbaked pie crust. Remove top sheet from top crust. Lift top crust onto filled pie. Remove other sheet. Trim to 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together and crimp or flute Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake according to specific recipe instructions.
- For Single Baked Pie Shell: Heat oven to 425°F. Thoroughly prick bottom and sides with fork multiple times to prevent shrinking. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. For recipe calling for unbaked pie shell, follow baking directions given in that recipe.