Creme Brulee French Toast
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 1 country-style bread (an 8 to 9-inch round)
- 6 eggs
- 1¾ cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Teaspoons orange liqueur
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the sugar, maple syrup, and rum extract. Pour the mixture into the dish.
- Cut 6 (1-1/2-inch-thick) slices from the center of the bread. Arrange the bread slices in one layer in the baking dish, squeezing them slightly so they fit.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, orange liqueur, and salt. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 8 hours and for up to one day.
- Let the dish sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the dish and bake the French toast for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve at once.