Cranberry Maple Baked Apples
Eileen Goltz |
- 2½ cups cranberry juice cocktail
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 medium Rome apples, cored
- ¾ cup dried cranberries*
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup shaved white chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Shave white chocolate with a vegetable peeler.**
- In a bowl combine the cranberry juice, maple syrup, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger, cinnamon, cornstarch and vanilla. Stir well; set aside.
- Peel top half of each apple; place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Fill centers of apples evenly with cranberries and pecans. Pour cranberry-maple mixture over apples.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tender, basting apples twice with syrup from pan.
- To serve, drizzle with remaining syrup. Sprinkle with white chocolate if using.
- * You can use raisins in place of dried cranberries, if desired.
- ** Store the chocolate at room temperature, cold can make it crumble. Peel the top half of the apples, or they may explode in the oven.