This is a versatile dish, delicious warm, cold or at room temperature; with meat, poultry, as an appetizer, condiment, dessert or between-meal snack.
- 1½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 medium ripe pears; peeled
- 12 dried apricots
- 2 seedless oranges; peeled and sectioned
- 3 cup fresh cranberries (approx. a 12 oz, bag)
- Cut the pears and oranges into 1/2 inch pieces. Cut each apricot into 6 pieces and then set them aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil, stirring the mixture occasionally. When the mixture comes to a boil stir in the pears and apricots.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the fruit in the uncovered pan for 5 minutes. Stir in the oranges, and continue simmering the fruit in the uncovered pan for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cranberries, and cook them over medium heat in the uncovered pan for 5 minutes, stirring the compote occasionally.
- When the cranberries burst the compote is done. Remove the compote from the heat.