This recipe is modified from Gourmet, July 1992.
- 3 or 4 russet (baking) potatoes (a little over a pound)
- ½ cup finely-chopped green bell pepper
- 1½ cups fresh corn kernels including the pulp scraped from the cobs (cut from about 2 ears of corn)
- 4 scallions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 Tablespoons sour cream or non dairy substitute
- Peel the potatoes, grate them coarse, and squeeze them with the bell pepper between several thicknesses of paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Finely chop the scallions and place them in a large bowl together with the potato and pepper mixture. Add the corn, cumin, flour, plus salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- In a non-stick skillet measuring 6 inches across the bottom heat 1/2 tablespoon of the butter over moderate heat until the foam subsides.
- Add 3/4 cup of the corn mixture, tamping it down with a spatula; cook the corn and potato cake for 6 minutes, or until the underside is golden and crisp.
- Slide it onto a plate, and keep it warm, covered.
- Make 3 more corn and potato cakes in the same manner with the remaining batter and corn mixture.
- Spread 2 of the cakes with the sour cream, arrange the remaining cakes on the sour cream, and cut the corn and potato cakes into wedges.