Classic Hamantaschen Dough
Eileen Goltz | Pareve or Dairy
- 1 stick unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- Grated zest of one small orange
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fillings (any of the Solo fillings or a favorite jam will work fine)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well blended.
- Beat in 2 eggs and orange zest, blending thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, then blend until dough is smooth. it’s best to wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, but you can go directly to the next step if you’re in a hurry…
- Transfer to floured surface and divide dough into three or four portions for easier handling.
- Roll to about 1/4 inch thick—not too thin, or cookies will spread open while baking.
- Cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds (I use a juice glass).
- Place a teaspoon of filling in center of each round. Fold edges toward center to form a triangle, leaving just a bit of filling visible. Pinch edges to seal.
- Place the hamantaschen about an inch apart of lightly greased, foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg, lightly beaten.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to racks to cool.