Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
Eileen Goltz |
- 2½ cups flour, unsifted
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup soft butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups coarsely-shredded zucchini
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk or non-dairy substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- With a mixer, beat together the butter and the sugar until they are smoothly blended. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini. Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture, including the nuts with the last addition.
- Pour the batter into a greased and flour-dusted (or use paper liners) cup cake pan. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes (test at 20 minutes!) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes; place on wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cupcakes.