Chocolate Gingerbread Cake with a Chocolate Glaze
Eileen Goltz |
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup light molasses
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4½ oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- In double boiler, place the 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, molasses, oil and butter. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices, salt, and pepper.
- In small bowl, beat eggs with whisk until foamy. Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk-egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add chocolate mixture and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake in center of preheated oven until top springs back when touched and cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
- Set cake on rack and remove springform sides.
- Prepare bittersweet glaze and pour over warm cake, allowing glaze to drip down sides. You can also spread the glaze with knife. Cool on rack to set glaze until serving time.
- In double boiler over low heat, combine butter, chocolate and corn syrup, stirring with whisk until mixture is melted and smooth.