Chocolate Cutout Cookies
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg. Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
Dough will be sticky so be sure to add more flour to the rolling surface as needed.
- Place cookies onto cookie sheets 1-1/2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.