- 2 dried chipotle chilies
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 3 cups assorted nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pine nuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios, walnuts)
- Spread shelled nuts (except macadamias) in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake at 350°F, stirring often, until golden.*
*Macadamias need lower heat because they scorch very easily; roast them at 300°F for about 20 minutes.
Watch nuts carefully since they brown quickly. For more toasted flavor, bake nuts to a darker color.
- Remove and discard chili stems.
- Whirl the chilies, with seeds, in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
- In a bowl, mix ground chilies, honey, sugar, oil, salt and cayenne. Add nuts and stir until coated with seasonings.
- Pour nuts onto oiled 15 x 10-inch pan; shake into 1 layer. Bake at 300°F, stirring often, until golden brown (under skins, if not blanched) and honey mixture hardens, 25 to 30 minutes.
- If necessary, push nuts apart; cool in pan.
Serve immediately or store for up to 3 days.