Chilled White Corn Soup
Eileen Goltz | Pareve or Meat
- 2 Tablespoons pareve margarine
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- Dash of curry powder
- 4 cups fresh white corn kernels (from about 8 ears)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cilantro
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (any kind you like)
- Melt the margarine in a medium pot over medium heat. Add leeks, cover and cook until soft but not brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add the curry and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add corn, stock, coriander, pepper and cilantro. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, add the coconut milk and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Puree all but 1 cup of soup in the blender, then strain into a bowl. Add reserved 1 cup of soup to the puree. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Season to taste with salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Over a medium-high heat fry 1/3 of the mushrooms at a time until they are deep golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a paper towel to drain. Season with salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fried mushrooms.